- Nutrition Tip Tuesday!
Here’s a quick little tid-bit about why sea salt is superior to table salt:
Every good story begins with a little drama so let’s start with the table salt
How is table salt made?
Table salt is mined in underground salt deposits and then processed in processing facilities killing any of the magic it may have once contained.
What’s in it?
Goodbye minerals! Hello anti-clumping additives, MSG, aluminum derivatives, sugar (it’s everywhere), bleach (this is how it gets its color), and chemically enriched sodium and iodine which our body sees as toxic invaders. The sodium in processed foods plus the addition of table salt keeps layering on the internal toxic load. The body works really hard fighting against these invaders, so hard that organs, cells, hormones, the gut, and heart health pay a huge price.
- dehydrates the body
- rapidly increases blood pressure – the body works hard to keep the toxic “no’s” listed above away from the heart
- induces asthma attacks
- thickens blood vessel walls – no Bueno
- depletes minerals in the body
- increases risk of developing diabetes
- increases chance of heart attacks and stroke
- damages stomach lining
- impacts adrenal health
- impacts nerve function
But don’t worry. Just throw away the table salt (easy) and replace it with sea salt!
The magic of sea salt!
How it’s made:
It’s made through the evaporation of water in its natural source. That sounds nice.
What’s in it?
Sea salt is full of electrolytes and is mineral rich. The beautiful thing about sea salt is you can get different minerals from different parts of the world depending on where your salt came from so having a variety on hand can add a rich diversity of minerals to the body.
- Sodium – maintains hydration in the body, controls blood pressure, facilitates nerve impulses
- Potassium – healthy function of your body’s cells, tissues, muscles, and organs
- Phosphorus – builds strong bones and teeth
- Calcium – fights infection, develops and protects bones and teeth, critical in heart and muscle health
- Iron – transports oxygen through the body
- Iodine – thyroid health, anti-bacterial, anti-viral
- Manganese – pituitary health (important for the sex hormones)
- Zinc – prostate health, heals infection, boosts immune system
Sea salt also helps to heal the adrenals because when your adrenals are fatigued electrolyte imbalances occur…. we will talk more about adrenals another day.
One thing to remember: Even though sea salt is healthier, it still contains the same amount of sodium as table salt. If you have issues with your blood pressure and your Dr. says to cut back on sodium you better listen to what he says.
Tip within a tip! Bring your own sea salt!
This reminds me of when I used to smuggle in ranch dressing to pizza places in NY when I was young and crazy….. ok, it’s not really the same.
My favorite sea salts rich in so many fancy minerals are:
Coarse Salt – Sea Salt – Natural, Unrefined Sea Salt – More Minerals Than Himalayan Pink or Rock Salt – Substitute for Iodized Sea Salt – Unprocessed & Hand Harvested By Artisans – 100% Satisfaction Lifetime Guarantee