To my dearest Fat,
I have been so nervous to reach out and tell you how I feel. As I try to explain myself I hope you can find it deep within your tallows to forgive me. Somewhere our relationship slipped off course and I can’t remember why. You are so magical… yet, I have been such a fool. I let your reputation and all the lies blind me from seeing who you truly are. You are so nurturing, so soft, and so beautiful. You make me feel sexy and strong. I don’t know why I didn’t trust in you, I was just so scared. I mean, how would it look to other people? When I would see you I would just run away! I knew I shouldn’t have listened to my friends when they all said, “You’re too good for fat!” “Fat is so bad for you!” “Fat just wants to hurt you!” What do they know, I’ve seen the messes they like to hang out with. If you forgive me I promise we will never part and I will always keep your good fatty fatness close to my heart.
X’s & O’x (but mainly O’s),
SLAM!! (That was the sound of a soapbox or a wooden box I just jumped on over and over)
Seriously people you need to let the fat phobia go! Fat is so good for you! And guess what? You can’t lose fat unless you eat fat! Whhaaaaa?? Oh yeah baby, it’s a fat fact! Bust out the lard and butter because we are getting bikini ready! When you eat fat (the good kind of course) it breaks down into glucose for energy. This break down is more efficient, longer burning, speeds up your metabolism and you expend more calories during the process. Fats are also the preferred source of energy for a happy healthy heart. It truly is a magical component to optimal heath. Fats not only provide us with energy, but are also the building blocks for cell membranes and hormones. You can’t absorb vitamins A, D, E, K without fat. And best of all, doesn’t it make food taste like awesome!?
Who are the players in this fat game?
The best! Ironically, saturated fats tend to have the worst reputation to the fat-phobic crowd. This fat is the most stable and doesn’t go rancid easily so it is great when cooking at high temperatures. Saturated fats are found in animal fats (butter, lard, tallows) and tropical oils (coconut oil). What else does this magic fat do??!! I will tell you….
- Constitutes at least 50% of the cell membrane! It gives the cell stiffness and integrity for proper function
- Good for the bones! 50% of our ingested fats should come from saturated fats in order for calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure
- Lowers Lp(a)! This is a substance in blood that indicates how prone you are to heart disease
- Protects the liver from alcohol and toxins! (OMG, idea!) Instead of a pickle back how about a fat shot with your booze of choice? I shall call it, “The Piggy Back!”
- Enhances the immune system!
- Good for the heart! It is the hearts favorite, it draws on saturated fats in the time of stress
- Antimicrobial Properties! Protects our digestive tract
You know what it doesn’t do? CAUSE HEART DISEASE! That is the job of polyunsaturated oils which I’ll get to in a moment. But first I have to pick up this mike I just dropped.
Also a good guy. These fats are also relatively stable and don’t go rancid easily. You can find monounsaturated fats in olive oil, almonds, pecans, cashews, peanuts, and avocados. This is safe at a low heat
It goes rancid easily, you never want to heat or use in cooking. Polyunsaturated oils are primarily derived from flax, nuts, and seeds, along with fish oil. Two of these oils are essential Linoleic Acid (omega 6) and Alpha-linoleic Acid (Omega 3)
- Increases risk of cancer and heart disease!
- Causes immune system dysfunction!
- Damages the liver!
- Damages reproductive organs and the lungs!
- Causes digestive disorders!
- Depresses learning abilities!
- Causes weight gain!
Look in your cabinets, if you see vegetable oils and hydrogenated fats throw that garbage away! And while you are there you might as well throw out the white flour and sugar too (we will get into that another day). That shit will also kill you! And instead of feeling great and looking flashy, you can look forward to wearing a hospital gown while you get treated for those awesome illnesses I just listed above. So not sexy, unless you are Channing Tatum, not even heart disease could unsexy him. And Now I have a reason to have his picture in my blog. You’re welcome!